Hi,

I have some severe issues with USB on a new system. This is
an Acer Aspire S5 (i7, Ivybridge) and the scanner can be mostly
classified as non working.

Symptoms:
1.) Start a scan application (e.g. simple-scan)
2.) Scan a page
3.) Exit the app
4.) Start a scan application (e.g. simple-scan)
5.) Scan a page..

In step five the scanning will not start. There is no kernel
output. I have tried putting a USB 2.0 hub between the physical
port and the scanner but the symptoms remain the same. The issue
occurs on 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6.x. I initially created a bug report on
the kernel bugzilla and will link to the uploads I made there.

lsusb without the scanner attached [1]
lsusb with the scanner attached[2]
pcap file of usbmon when it does not work[3]

I am using Debian unstable and by default sane-backends is built
with libusb-0.1 support, I rebuilt it to use libusb-1.0.0. I have
seen an old mail from Sarah about xhci/libusb and I added the
following to my cmdline (usbcore.usbfs_memory_mb=1000) but it didn't
change anything. I am using 3.6.2 right now and have enabled the
xhcd debug option and can provide more output.

I have a trace of a successful scan but it was too big to be
uploaded. I have recompiled 3.6.2

kind regards
  holger

[1] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=83461