On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 04:46:30PM +0100, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> (Sorry, accidentally dropped the lists.  Adding it back & re-posting my
> off-list response.)

(Now add the missing linux-usb@vger.kernel.org list for real.  Not
trimming the full e-mail intentionally as I missed to Cc 'linux-usb'.)

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 04:05:53PM +0100, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

> > Hehe, near as I see, that's dangerous only if you have data on the disk.
> >
> > This is an empty SSD that I haven't put any data in it, I should remind.
> > :-)  In that case, I'll assume it is "safe" to tinker with the above.
> >
> > > IOWs, using Mark Lord's example:
> > >        hdparm --trim-sector-ranges 1000:4 /dev/sdz
> > >
> > > That will attempt to trim lba 1000, 1001, 1002 and 1003 on /dev/sdz
> >
> > Thanks; I should first educate myself more on this before I tinker with
> > the above.  One Ubuntu wiki page claims: "To wipe out contents of an SSD,
> > SATA secure erase is the way to go",

Never mind about "secure erase", even trying to set password via
`hdparm' for this T5 SSD (still connected via 'Thunderbolt'):

    $> hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass $SECRET /dev/sdc

Fails with the unactionable & useless error:

    "SECURITY_SET_PASS: Input/output error"

--
/kashyap