On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:24:07PM +0200, Mats Karrman wrote:
> Hi Heikki,
>
> On 05/15/2018 09:30 AM, Heikki Krogerus wrote:
>
> > Hi Mats,

> >> Sigh... Again, if the same mux handles signals for more than one alternate
> >> mode
> >> the driver won't know what alternate mode is intended if it only receives
> >> the
> >> connector state which use overlapping numbers for different alternate
> >> modes.
> > You are missing the point. We are now registering separate struct
> > typec_mux for every alt mode. The ->set callback will need to be
> > implemented separately for every alt mode.
> >
> > So in case of TI HD3SS460, we need to initially register a struct
> > typec_mux for DP and implement a function for the ->set callback for
> > DP only. If we later need to support another alt mode with that mux
> > (HDMI perhaps), we need to register second struct typec_mux and
> > implement separate function for that alt mode alone and point the
> > ->set callback of the second struct typec_mux to that.
>
> No, I'm not missing the point... At least not that one :)
> But I think you are missing my point that a driver for a general
> purpose mux device will end up having to register a struct typec_mux
> and implement a ->set function for every possible alternate mode
> that eventually will exist (and can be used with that mux).

OK, we are on the same page. So back to my question. I'll rephrase:
How would separate ->set functions differ from delivering the
SVID:mode on top of the SVID specific connector state to the mux? You
still need to handle every alternate mode separately in the mux
driver.

I doubt that HD3SS460 will (or even can) be used with anything else
except DP. Maybe with HDMI. It definitely will not be usable with all
alternate modes. Realistically, I think we are talking about two, max
three alternate modes any mux driver will ever need to handle.

Thanks,

--
heikki