> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 12:40 AM, Shawn Guo <shawn...@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > We can have the options in defconfig, but they can still be turned off
> > for whatever reason and we get the hang.  Really, missing a user
> > selectable option in defconfig shouldn't result in a system hang.
>
> Yes, 100% agree and this is exactly what this USB patch is all about :-)
>
> The whole point of this USB patch is not to let the the system to hang when
> the
> defconfig options are turned off.
>
> It will warn the user that CONFIG_USB_CHIPIDEA_ULPI needs to be selected, will
> propagate an error, but at least the system will not hang.
>
> The user will certainly notice the big warning which says "Select
> CONFIG_USB_CHIPIDEA_ULPI in order to use ULPI mode"

Hi Fabio, Shawn's suggestion seems reasonable.

It seems there is no harm if we always include drivers/usb/chipidea/ulpi.c
except increasing
a little code size, how about always build ulpi.c for the whole chipidea at
Makefile, delete
CONFIG_USB_CHIPIDEA_ULPI as well, meanwhile, we need to select USB_ULPI_BUS
at Kconfig?

Besides, at function ci_ulpi_resume for ulpi.c, we need to add condition to
quit for non-ulpi interface.

Peter