Hi,

> > > We got confirmation from HW team about 4 byte read limitation. There
> > > has to be a STOP after every single read cycle. One read cycle
> > > supports maximum of
> > > 4 byte burst. I will update the patches with a comment on this.
> >
> > Could it be that this is more an SMBus controller than an I2C controller?
> > I haven't looked at the specs but maybe populating smbus_xfer instead of
> > master_xfer is an option here?
> I think its more of i2c controller and we do mention " .max_read_len = 4" in
> " struct i2c_adapter_quirks". Do you still see something missing here?

Well, if there has to be STOP after a read, then you can't do a transfer
containing "write-read-write", or? So, I wondered if this controller is
of the type which can mainly do "write-then-read" transfers only (check
I2C_AQ_COMB* quirk flags). And for some of those controller types, it
might be even easier to drop generic I2C transfers and only handle the
SMBUS calls.

I didn't check this driver closely yet, so I can't tell if/what it needs
from the above. I wanted to give this input already, though.

Regards,

   Wolfram