Hi,
  I just subscribed to the linux-usb list as an occasional user  ...
I glanced through this thread backwards ... and am somehow surprised
nobody objects. I am no expert but it is my impression a lot of us
want CPU powersaving, maybe LCD powersaving and don't care about
external USB devices. It is only causing a hassle if the mouse goes
sleep every 2 seconds or first keyboard keystroke goes away because
it just woke up the keyboard. Even worse if a usb-storage device goes
sleep and kernel chokes on subsequent file access. Sure, it is because
of broken devices, firmware, sometimes linux ... but why do I have to
sacrifice all power-saving to avoid potential issues. I just do not want
to hit new bugs here or there in powersaving features in USB devices,
really. They are cheap, crappy and I accepted it. But please, don't
make me either use their power-saving or disable powersaving altogether.
  I believe you know very well what in kernel is affected and if you say
few lines of code are affected, but do you really want laptop-mode-tools
and all other to change their documentation, config files and make
all the whitelists and blacklists in their config files useless? If I
get it right I either use the tool as a whole or not at all? Really?

  I must be missing something. sorry for my incompetence taht I am not so
knowledgeable of power-saving in general. Am just a 'looser'. ;)
Martin