On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 03:15:09AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 13:28 -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:37:00AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > Since Linux 3.2.16, my desktop with an Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
> > > always wakes up a few seconds after I shutdown.  I then have to switch
> > > it off a second time.  This still occurs in Linux 3.6.9 (haven't tried
> > > 3.7 yet).
> >
> > Hmm.  So if we enable PCI bus suspend for this xHCI host controller,
> > then it will immediately wakeup the system on shutdown?
>
> So it seems.
>
> > What happens when runtime PM is enabled for the host (and any USB
> > devices attached to it)?  Does the host controller stay in D3hot, or
> > does it immediately pop back into D0?
>
> It stays in D3hot.  Also, this fixes the problem.
>
> > Can you turn on CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING and CONFIG_USB_DEBUG for
> > your kernel and send me the dmesg?  I'm wondering if the xHCI host
> > controller is either failing to complete the host suspend command, or
> > perhaps failing to be halted.
>
> This happens in S5 (soft-off), so there is no way to read dmesg
> afterwards!  I just checked S3 (mem) and S4 (disk), and the system stays
> properly suspended in those states.
>
> I set sysctl kernel.printk=8 and recorded the screen during shutdown,
> from which I transcribe the following:
>
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.6: wake-up capability enabled by ACPI
> xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: // Halt the HC
> xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: xhci_shutdown completed - status = 1

Ok, then the xHCI host controller reported that it did halt
successfully.  It should not be sending any interrupts or PMEs when it's
halted.

> ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S5
> Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
> Power down.
> acpi_power_off called
>
> The first line is related to wake-on-LAN as the specified device is the
> downstream port connected to the network controller.
>
> [...]
> > > No devices are connected to the xHCI.
> > >
> > > 'echo disabled > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:04:00.0/power/wakeup' does
> > > *not* work around this.
> >
> > Does unloading the xHCI driver before shutdown fix this?
> [...]
>
> Yes.
>
> Also, I tried plugging devices into the USB 3.0-capable ports.  Plugging
> in a mouse fixes this.  Plugging in a super-speed SATA enclosure
> doesn't.
>
> So, as far as I can see this problem is specific to:
> - Sleep in S5
> - Driver loaded
> - Run-time power management disabled
> - No devices or super-speed device plugged in
>
> Any of these avoid the problem:
> - Sleep in S3 or S4
> - Driver unloaded
> - Run-time power management enabled
> - Low-speed device plugged in

Is it any low speed device, or just a mouse?  Does a connected
keyboard or a USB serial device make the system stay shutdown?

The symptoms are pretty bizarre, and I honestly don't know what could be
the root cause.  I would suggest you try the BIOS update and see if it
fixes the issue.

Sarah Sharp