On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>> This is not a USB problem. You need to involve the SCSI people.
>> khubd just stops working because disconnects are processed
>> in its context and the removal deadlocks.
>
> The why whould building the deadline elevator as a module make any
> difference?  Or does it make a difference?

Building elevator as module does make a difference: the system is broken.

> Alex, if the elevator is made static instead, do you still see the same
> behavior when the USB drive is removed?

How can I make the elevator static? Or did you mean "built-in"?
Or did you mean to ask if khubd hangs if the deadline is built in?
In that case - no. The behavior is normal. Nothing hangs.

> Also, are there any mounted filesystems on the drive when you unplug
> it?

No, no auto-mount. The whole of userspace init is attached, and I'm reasonably
sure nothing of it mounts anything automatically. Nothing of udev, too.