On Wednesday 27 March 2013, Peter Vasil wrote:
> Hm, no idea what the latest versions are :-) I use archlinux, with
> latest updates installed.
> Here are my git and patch versions:
>
> $ git --version
> git version 1.8.2
> $ patch --version
> GNU patch 2.7.1
>
> Btw. my git understands format-patch -D, but its help looks a bit suspicous:
>
>        -D, --irreversible-delete
>            Omit the preimage for deletes, i.e. print only the header
> but not the diff between the preimage and /dev/null. The
>            resulting patch is not meant to be applied with patch nor
> git apply; this is solely for people who want to just
>            concentrate on reviewing the text after the change. In
> addition, the output obviously lack enough information to
>            apply such a patch in reverse, even manually, hence the
> name of the option.
>
>            When used together with -B, omit also the preimage in the
> deletion part of a delete/create pair.
>
> Perhaps there is a newer version that can also apply such a reduced patch?

Hmm, my version is slightly older than yours. I also find the same thing
here:

$ git format-patch -M -D HEAD^
0001-USB-EHCI-DT-support-for-generic-bus-glue.patch
$ git reset --hard HEAD^
HEAD is now at 417c765 USB: EHCI: fix up incorrect merge resolution
$ git am 0001-USB-EHCI-DT-support-for-generic-bus-glue.patch
Applying: USB: EHCI: DT support for generic bus glue
error: removal patch leaves file contents
error: drivers/usb/host/ehci-vt8500.c: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 USB: EHCI: DT support for generic bus glue
The copy of the patch that failed is found in:
   /home/arnd/arm-soc/.git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --resolved".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".

I guess I won't be using the -D switch again then. Thanks for pointing
this out!

        Arnd