On 2013/5/31 19:18 Greg KH wrote the following:
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 02:18:06PM +0800, Lan Tianyu wrote:
This patch is to add a check of "portnum" which from the usb
port dev's name.

Why do we need this now?

The "portnum" will be used as array index
for struct usb_hub->ports in the usb_set_hub_port_connect_type().

Is something failing today without this check?  We don't add code to the
kernel until we need it...
No, actually current code will not fail. The patch is the result of
analysis tools "Klockwork" which is pushed by some QAs. I just notice you have said "to be over-eager in checking parameters that we have full control of is not needed at all". So please ignore this. Sorry for noise.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=136984950910015&w=2

thanks,

greg k-h