Greg KH <gre...@linuxfoundation.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 06:56:30PM +0200, Ben Adler wrote:
>> Hello Greg,
>>
>> thanks for getting back to me!

>> >Why do you want to talk to the other ports?  What is on those
>> >connections?
>>
>> They're all serial ports, used to issue commands to the receiver (in
>> binary or ascii form) and receive data at different intervals
>> (again, binary or ascii). Which messages exactly are accepted or
>> sent on which (virtual) port at which interval can be configured.
>
> That's not what the USB device descriptors you provided below show.
> They look like a "normal" cdc-acm device, so we are (according to the
> USB-IF specification), supposed to export to userspace a single device
> that can be used to communicate with it.

Note that the lsusb output showed a second configuration with 2 vendor
specific ACM functions (only 2 bulk endpoints and protocol = 0xff)
instead of the single standard CDC ACM function. This is probably the
configuration used by the Windows host.

The cdc-acm driver cannot handle those ports, but a more forgiving
generic driver can.  I don't recommend it for normal use because it
abuses the option driver, but Ben could do a simple test like this:

  echo 2 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/<usbportname>/bConfigurationValue
  modprobe option
  echo 152a 8230 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

Unless I missed something, this should result in two /dev/ttyUSBx serial
devices.

I guess this device is worth a new serial driver of its own in case that
works?  Or should we create a generic driver for 02/02/ff serial devices
(using the inverse of the logic in drivers/net/usb/cdc_ether.c:
usbnet_generic_cdc_bind to avoid RNDIS devices)?  A few modems with such
ports have been added to option, but a generic solution might be better.

Bjørn