I took Alan's excellent advice and read a good bit of that book last
night.  Definitely some good authors there!

After pondering Alan's diagnosis for a bit, I went to inspect the usbhid
driver code, and wound up creating a patch which works!  I've tested
three different gaming mice, and they now all poll properly using the
ohci_hcd driver when the usbhid driver uses two URBs to receive input data:

(output from the evhz utility)
event3: latest hz = 1000 (average hz = 1000)
event3: latest hz = 1000 (average hz = 1000)
event3: latest hz = 1000 (average hz = 1000)
event3: latest hz = 1000 (average hz = 1000)
event3: latest hz = 1000 (average hz = 1000)

I probably need a lot more time to research things and make sure that I
did this the "proper" way.  I'm a bit scared to submit a patch for the
first time, so I'd like it to be right.

Jiri, can I send you some private e-mail to ask for your advice about
all that?