On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 03:07:25PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:45:30AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >
> > One last thought on this note:  We know Windows doesn't have high-res
> > timers, and Arjan says asking for a 10 ms delay will produce a delay
> > around 17 ms.  Since Linux is busy waiting, we may be communicating with
> > the device sooner than Windows does.
>
> What does Windows do for this type of thing?  How long do they wait
> before reporting an error?  We probably need to do the same as they do,
> no matter what the spec says.

I double checked with the Intel Windows devs, and they say that Arjan is
mistaken, and they'll get around 11 ms, just like we do.

They say:

"The EHCI driver stack applies the 10 ms starting at the point that it
sees C_PORT_SUSPEND asserted for the port.

The inaccuracy in Windows 8 is generally no more than 1 system clock
period late, but it can be delayed by interrupt processing for other
devices. I would expect the additional average delay to be no more than
1 ms."

They didn't mention waiting for the PORT_RESUME bit to be cleared, like
the Linux EHCI driver does.  Alan, would you like me to ask them about
that?

Sarah Sharp