On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:53:39AM +0000, Amund Hov wrote:

> > I completely understand your frustration, and it actually is relevant to
> > kernel development. :)  Perhaps the attached patch would have at least
> > saved you some time and frustration in debugging the driver and host
> > issue?
>
> Thanks Sarah. An error like that would allow me to know what the error is
> and where to look for host capabilities. Is this the only case in which
> slot_id would not be properly set?

I believe so.  There's at least one other function that allocates a new
slot ID, but it calls the function I added debugging to.  A device may
also not get enumerated if it fails to respond to a Set Address control
transfer, but that code path already has some nicer printks already.

Sarah Sharp

p.s. You might want to try to remove your footer when communicating with
open source mailing lists.  Some kernel devs will refuse to answer you
back because it really doesn't make any sense to try to impose the
legalise on a public mailing list that sends email copies to everyone.
I know some people just use their personal addresses if their company
slaps the footer on all outgoing messages.