Hi,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:01:33 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014, Mark wrote:
>
> > Shuttle Technology/SCM Microsystems was the OEM manufacturer of SCSI-USB
> > converter cables sold by various companies including Adaptec [untested
> > patch posted recently], Ariston Technologies, Belkin [*], Buffalo,
> > Entrega/Xircom [patch posted recently], Microtech [*], Newer Technology
> > [*], Olympus[*]
> > *: quirk already in unusual-devs.h
> >
> > The ability to specify the SCM_MULT_TARG quirk on the command line could
> > be useful. At least the Ariston and Buffalo products don't have entries in
> > unusual-devs.h. I hope to write a patch, but would like some advice on the
> > best approach.
>
> Devices with this capability are so rare, it didn't seem worthwhile
> adding it to the list of recognized quirks for the module parameter.

> > Is one of those options preferable? Or maybe something else?
>
> It's probably better just to rely on entries to the unusual_devs.h
> file.  Those are automatically be available to anyone with an
> up-to-date kernel, with no need for messing around with module
> parameters.

The trouble is though, that requires the user compile their own kernel.
Which may not be practical due to lack of knowledge or e.g. booting from a
live CD.

I can submit patches for devices I don't own to cover more (hopefully
almost all) SCM-based devices, e.g. the USBConnect 2000 patch I submitted
recently. But I wasn't sure what values to use for bcdDeviceMin and
bcdDeviceMax. 0 and 0x9999 would probably be best, so I'll repost the patch
with that change.

Another issue relates to manufacturer USB ID screw-ups. The Buffalo
USB-SCSI cable is a good example. According to the Windows INF file
available from
  http://buffalo.jp/download/driver/hd/mos-s640usb.html
its USB ID is 0411:0001.

However, according to the INF file from
  http://buffalo.jp/download/driver/lan/lua-tx.html
the LUA-TX USB-Ethernet adapter can have ID 0411:0005 or 0411:0001... sigh.

Given that, would it be possible/advisable to have an unusual-devs.h entry
for the Buffalo USB-SCSI cable?

Mark