…
> It should have been working all along if your kernel configuration was
> correct.

$ uname -r
3.16.0-4-amd64
$ grep CONFIG_HID_APPLE /boot/config-3.16.0-4-amd64
CONFIG_HID_APPLE=m
CONFIG_HID_APPLEIR=m
$ lsmod | grep hid_apple
hid_appleir            12724  0
hid_apple              12596  0
hid                   102264  4 hid_generic,usbhid,hid_appleir,hid_apple
$ lsusb -d 05ac:0231
Bus 005 Device 020: ID 05ac:0231 Apple, Inc. Internal Keyboard/Trackpad \
(MacBook Pro 4,1) (ISO)

Now, APPLE_IGNORE_MOUSE only appears in drivers/hid/hid-apple.c:28, where
it is #define'd but never referenced, making it hard for me to see the
connection.

However, while looking for uses of USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_WELLSPRING2_ISO,
I found hid_mouse_ignore_list defined in drivers/hid/hid-core.c:2358 and
referenced after the switch statement in drivers/hid/hid-core.c:2482 as an
argument to hid_match_id(), which is executed only if the device's type in
question is of HID_TYPE_USBMOUSE.  If I had to venture a guess here I'd say
that that is never the case.

Cheers,
Christian