Hi Andrzej & Co,

Apologies for the delayed follow up on this series.

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 10:39 +0100, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> This series adds support to tcm usb gadget for composing it with configfs.
>
> @target-devel folks: You might be wondering why add configfs for something
> which already supports configfs. In tcm_usb_gadget configfs has beeen
> used for configuring the SCSI target part, but the usb gadget part
> is considered a legacy gadget. A legacy gadget is a composite usb gadget
> whose composition is defined statically at compilation time.
> Composite gadgets can consist of a number of "functions" and configurations.
> In legacy gadgets the selection is hardcoded in a dedicated kernel
> module. But with configfs the selection can be made at runtime without
> writing any kernel code. The conversion process started almost three
> years ago.
>
> The series aims at integrating configfs into tcm, the way it has been
> done with 19 of 20 usb functions. In other words this concludes the
> process of conversion to configfs in usb gadgets.
>
> The series depends on the series from Chrisoph:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/target-devel/msg10730.html

Ok, the configfs attribute conversion changes merged into mainline as of
yesterday.

> @Nicholas: In order to use the series from Christoph (simplifying
> configfs attributes) I rebased my series on top of your for-next,
> which happens not to contain your patches which strip off nexus
> WWPN prefix, fix nexus leak and fix enabled attribute failure.
> I re-post them here. I have split one of them to separate
> unrelated changes.

Thanks for including those fixes in this series.  I've dropped the
original patches.

> @Joel: I resend the patch which adds unlocked versions of
> configfs_(un)depend_item(). The purpose of configfs_(un)depend_item()
> is to allow other kernel subsystems to prohibit deletion of a config
> item until they can live without it. This is exactly the case with
> tcm usb gadget, but the other kernel subsystem happens to be another
> subsystem in configfs: the user must create an instance of the tcm
> function in usb_gadget subsystem in order to be able to create
> a tpg in target subsystem. But once a tpg goes live its corresponding
> tcm function must not be removed until the tpg is deleted.
> Even though these are two distinct configfs subsystems the
> configfs_(un)depend_item() will not work from a configfs callback.
> That is why there is a need to provide the "unlocked" variant.
>
> v2..v3:
> - dropped a patch adding unlocked versions of depend/undepend item,
> instead this series depends on a series from Krzysztof:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg131720.html

I haven't seen any further discussion on Krzysztof's -v4 configfs
changes to add configfs_depend_item_unlocked() for the special usb-gaget
case described here.

Jlbec, do you have any further objections or concerns..?

> v1..v2:
> - added missing comments
> - used the next version of configfs_(un)depend_item_unlocked()
> - fixed bug: THIS_MODULE is NULL if a module is compiled-in, so we cannot
> rely on opts->dependent being non-NULL if a dependent module is present
> - added passing configfs subsystem to configfs_(un)depend_item_unlocked()
>
> BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY
>
> Please note that the old tcm_usb_gadget.ko is still available and works.

Ok, I've added both series into target-pending/queue-next so kbuild can
give it a first pass.

We'll need to get Jlbec's ACK on the configfs parts, and Sebastian's ACK
on this series ahead of getting them into next as v4.5-rc code.

I don't have a preference of taking these through target-pending, so if
other folks prefer to merge via other means, I'm happy to drop them.

Thank you,

--nab