Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I have read various forum posts and some of the archive from this list
> about the following error message:
>
> Not enough host controller resources for new device state
>
> Some people have had success with disabling XHCI at the BIOS level.
>
> That seems to be an unnecessary work around to me given we are progressing
> towards USB4 in the not too distant future.
>
> Is there a definitive explanation other than "no one had time/resources to
> work on  this issue yet" why we cannot have more than 30 odd devices
> connected with XHCI enabled?

Yes.

The xHCI standard (not USB 3, but the standard that SuperSpeed
capable hardware on the PC side - host controllers - implement)
introduced an allowance for host controllers to support a significantly
smaller number of attached devices than described in the USB 2.0 spec.

Some non-EHCI high speed capable host controllers in embedded systems
are known to have such aribtrary limitations too, but the Intel xHCI
implementation was the first I encountered in desktop/laptop hardware.

Did hardware vendors decide in the standards bodies that users will
now have to choose between SuperSpeed and 127 possible devices?

> I am available to assist with debugging this issue if there is a way to
> make it work.

You essentially have to educate yourself on silicon level (ie. what
hardware IP is being used in which consumer products) to sustain a
dependency on 127 possible devices per bus.

I guess you'll find that there are only very few xHCI IPs out there,
probably just three or four. I wouldn't be surprised if they all have
the same, or similar, limitations.

//Peter