Greg KH <gregkh@...> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 06:49:50AM +0000, tilman wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I configured and setup a more recent kernel:  V4.5.0-rc4
> >
> > The driver compiles and inserts.
>
> What driver?  You have provided no context here :(
My apologies -- what I meant to say was: I inserted the compile usbrsa
driver. The code of the driver I posted on Feb 16th.

> > When I plugin the USB-Dongle, the machine
> > freezes (not sure whether it freezes during the firmware download or after
> > it once it has reenumerated).
>
> Your kernel logs should show you this.

The kernel freezes before it can log the kernel oops:

Feb 19 07:26:35 btron kernel: [  241.247360] usbcore: registered new interface d
river usbrsa
Feb 19 07:26:35 btron kernel: [  241.247388] usbserial: USB Serial support regis
tered for IO-DATA - USB-RSA - (prerenumeration)
Feb 19 07:26:35 btron kernel: [  241.247412] usbserial: USB Serial support regis
tered for IO-DATA - USB-RSA

^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@

> The kernel logs can provide you with a full traceback, we can't do much
> without that.
I understand that and I would love to provide one -- there is however no
traceback logged. All I have is a kernel message on the console:

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ...

When I had the driver running on the kernel version 3.13.0, things started
to go wrong in usbrsa_attach of the usbrsa driver (see first posting on Feb
16th)

I will comment out all functional parts of the driver, and check if it still
fails. If it no longer crashes, I will comment in procedure by procedure
until it crashes hoping that I can isolate the problem that way ...
If there are better/faster debugging techniques I would love to learn about
them :-)

Thanks

Tilman