On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, ais523 wrote:

> > There's no question about it -- your problem is caused by a buggy
> > device.
>
> This actually doesn't surprise me at all; I became suspicious when I
> saw that the serial number was 0123456789ABCDEF rather than something
> that looked more like a serial number.
>
> As far as I can tell, the device pretends to be a mass storage device
> for the purpose of installing drivers on Windows and OS X, in addition
> to being a networking device. The mass storage part of the device
> doesn't work under Linux because the device violates the protocol so
> badly; but nor is it particularly useful or the reason that you'd use
> the device in the first place. Meanwhile, its networking properties do
> work under Linux, and are useful, but aren't usable until/unless the
> device stops resetting.
>
> I've also verified that the device itself has the latest firmware; so
> the problem hasn't been fixed by the manufacturer yet.
>
> Do you feel that it's worth implementing some sort of workaround in the
> kernel? If not, I can either continue using my manual workaround of
> repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the device until the reset
> loops stop naturally, or perhaps trying to put pressure on the
> manufacturer to fix the problem with their device.

No in-kernel workaround is needed.  You can simply specify a module
parameter for the usb-storage driver that will prevent it from binding
to the device.  The parameter would be "1bbb:f000:i" (that's the
vendor ID, the product ID, and 'i' for Ignore).

Of course, putting pressure on the manufacturer to fix the bugs would
also be a good idea.  :-)