On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 31 May 2016, Michael Schaller wrote:
> >
> >> Is there anything else I can do to debug this issue further?
> >> Are there any quirks I could try?

> > Did you ever try increasing the max_sectors_kb value?
> >
> > /sys/block/sdb/queue/max_sectors_kb will be set to 120 by default, but
> > for a USB-3 device you should be able to increase it up to 1024.  That
> > might give a considerable speedup.
>
> we're using 2048 sectors by default for USB3 nowadays. See commit
> 5b91dfe187bb usb: storage: scsiglue: limit USB3 devices to 2048 sectors

2048 sectors = 1024 KB.  I wasn't sure whether the new value for
max_hw_sectors_kb also sets the default for max_sectors_kb, but it
looks like it does.

Also, we should mention that this higher max_hw_sectors_kb limit was
added in the 4.7 kernel, which wasn't released until after Michael
reported the slow write speeds.