Am Dienstag, den 13.09.2016, 20:38 +0200 schrieb Martin Blumenstingl:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Philipp Zabel <p.za...@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,

> >> indeed, so in simple words we would need something like
> >> reset_control_do_once(rstc, RESET/ASSERT/DEASSERT) which would
> >> remember internally if any action has already been executed: if not it
> >> does a _reset, _assert or _deassert and otherwise it does nothing.

> >> I added Philipp and Hans to this thread - maybe they can comment on this.
> >> To sum it up, our problem is:
> >> - there are two separate USB PHYs on Meson GXBB
> >> - both are sharing the same reset line (provided by the reset-meson driver)
> >> - during initialization of the PHYs we must only call
> >> reset_control_reset(rstc) once (if we do it for the first *and* second
> >> PHY then the first PHY gets confused once the second PHY uses the
> >> reset because the first PHY's state is reset as well)
> >
> > If you have an initially asserted reset line and you can enable the
> > first module by deasserting the reset via reset_control_deassert (and
> > reset_control_assert to signal when the module may be disabled again
> > after use), shared resets are for you.
> >
> > If you need a reset pulse or have no direct control over the reset line,
> > (device_reset), the reset framework currently has no solution for this.
> > The ugly thing about reset_control_once would be that it can't re-reset
> > modules when unloading and reloading driver modules.
> The corresponding reset driver in question is reset-meson, which only
> implements reset (assert/deassert are not implemented). However, I
> don't know if this is due to hardware design.
> I think the hardware implements the latter, but maybe Neil can give
> more information here (I currently don't have access to my board so I
> cannot test how the hardware actually behaves).
>
> > A real solution for shared reset lines with reset pulses would have to
> > be some kind of reset request framework where if one module requests a
> > reset, the other module sharing the reset could be notified, and then
> > either veto the reset or, if possible, cease operations, store its
> > state, and prepare to be reset, too, and afterwards restore state. I'd
> > prefer not to think about this too much unless absolutely necessary.
> I'm not sure if this would work in our case: one PHY instance would
> have to know if the other has already triggered the reset or not.

We could add a triggered flag or a counter to struct reset_control, and
have reset_control_reset_once do nothing if it is already set /
incremented. Since the reset_control goes away with the last consumer,
the shared reset line would get triggered again after unbinding both PHY
devices.

regards
Philipp