Daniele Palmas <dnl...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> it turned out that resetting the interface in cdc_ncm_init after
>>> getting the NTB parameters removes the need for the sleep, making the
>>> modem to work fine.
>>
>> Sounds very good, although I must admit that it isn't perfectly clear to
>> me what kind of reset we're talking about here.  But no worries, the
>> patch will make that clear :)
>>

> Sorry for the confusion, I meant resetting the MBIM function with
> RESET_FUNCTION request code.

Yes, the patch did make that clear, as expected :)

>>> I wonder if this is an acceptable solution and can be applied also for
>>> MC7455.
>>
>> Quite possible.  I will definitely test it.  If we can avoid an
>> arbitrary and pointless delay, then that's great.  But I guess this also
>> requires testing with a wide range of other MBIM devices to find out if
>> we can apply it unconditionally without breaking anything. Avoiding
>> device-specific or vendor-specific code is important in a class driver,
>> if possible.
>>

> Ok, unfortunately I can test only with Telit modems, so I'm not sure
> if the change I did is harmless for all the other modems:
> RESET_FUNCTION should not cause issues,

Agreed.  Unfortunately, we cannot depend on sane firmware behaviour ;)

I did a semi-quick test on a Sierra Wireless EM7455 and can confirm that
your patch makes it work without the delay.  Very nice.

Do you happen to know if the Windows MBIM driver use  RESET_FUNCTION
during initialisation?  That would make this feel much safer.

I see that your testing also included Intel based modems. That's good.
It would still be nice to have test results from a few more MBIM
implementations, in particular the more "difficult" ones. But I don't
know how much help I can promise here. At the moment I don't even know
which box my modems are in.  Moved a month ago and am still living in a
box.  Or more like a hundred boxes ;)

The easiest way to get this thoroughly tested is of course to push it
now, and try to respond quickly in case it breaks something. Don't know
what others think about that?

> but I also removed altsetting
> toggling for all MBIM modems and maybe this is not acceptable.

I wonder about that.  It was added specifically for modems which seemed
to need it.  Don't remember if we ever tried RESET_FUNCTION as an
alternative. Removing workaorunds which have proven to be necessary at
some point in time is a bit risky.

Bjørn