Please do not drop the linux-usb list from CC.

Resending my reply to the list and dropping that (private) sourceforge
list you added from CC.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 01:47:45PM +0100, Sylvain LG wrote:
> Hello Johan,
>
> I am using the 4.9 kernel provided by Robert C Nelson, from
> Beagleboard
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/tree/4.9

Please verify that you have the same issue when using a mainline
4.9-kernel, so that this is not just a problem with that tree.

> I'm using FTDI products from StarTech.com:
>
> ICUSB2321F
> https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable~ICUSB2321F

That should be an FT232RL.

> ICUSB2322F
> https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/2-Port-USB-RS232-Serial-Cable~ICUSB2322F

And an FT2232D.

> and also an USB Cape which provides 2 USB ports and 2 FTDI serial ports:
>
> USB-2COM-BB
> http://www.titan.tw/product/USB_2COM_BB.html

I assume that cape is not supported by a mainline kernel, so please use
the on-board BBB host port.

> Currently, I could perform tests with StarTech 2 ports ICUSB2322F and
> BBB cape USB-2COM-BB.
> (But results are the same with all the other stuff).

What happens when you use the on-board BBB host port instead of the
cape?

> lsusb -v returns:
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:6010
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6010

That's not the verbose output (-v) of the (libusb) lsusb. But never mind
for now, this sounds like a BBB issue.

> After applying your diagnostics patch to ftdio_sio.c, kernel messages are:
>
> [  421.937699] ftdi_sio ttyUSB3: ftdi_set_termios FAILED to set
> databits/stopbits/parity: -110

So that's an -ETIMEDOUT when no response to this request is received
within 1000 ms when the port is opened.

Do you see any other error messages when connecting the device(s)? There
are a couple of control requests that are sent as part of probe, which
could also be failing.

> [  422.961642] ftdi_sio ttyUSB3: ftdi_set_termios urb failed to set baudrate
> [  428.081820] ftdi_sio ttyUSB3: urb failed to clear flow control
>

> Thank you for your help,

You're welcome.

Johan