Hi,

Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> writes:
> Hi All,
>
> Here are 2 patches which can and should be merged separately, but
> which do belong together, as together they add support for the
> usb-phy / mux bits found in the Intel Cherrytrail xhci vendor defined
> extended capabilities registers.
>
> I did not want to hide an entire phy driver inside the xhci code,
> nor did I want to add an extcon dependency to the xhci code, so
> I've chosen to simply make the xhci code register a platform childdev
> with an IOMEM resource with the Intel Cherrytrail xhci vendor defined
> extended capabilities registers when these are found. This keeps the
> xhci driver clean and allows writing a separate phy driver, this is
> the first patch, which should be merged through the USB tree.
>
> The second patch adds the actual phy driver, one thing which stands
> out is that it completely depends on extcon devices to get idpin and
> vbus state as that is done by other chips on cherrytrail devices,
> atm the extcon devices are hardcoded to axp288_extcon for the vbus
> detection and the ACPI INT3496:00 device for the idpin detection.
>
> On some boards a different pmic then the axp288 may be used, so in
> the future we may end up with an array with extcon device names to
> try until we've found one.
>
> The phy driver also adds a mode sysfs attribute, this is useful for
> testing, as well with a so called charging oth hub, where the idpin
> will indicate device/charge mode, but we can also use usb-devices
> plugged into the hub by switching the data lines to host mode.

Baolu has worked on this for months but it turned out that several folks
said 'no' to his patchset. You're not really dealing with a PHY, it's
just a portmux which can generate some UTMI messages to make sure dwc3
is happy.

The end of the story about this, at least for broxton, was that mux
control was moved to ASL. I'm not sure why folks didn't update CHT (or
other devices') BIOS though.

Baolu, any comments to this series?

Personally, I'm unwilling to take this (or the other 2-patch dwc3 series
adding IDA) because there will only be a single user.

--
balbi