(I pressed reply instead of reply to all, sorry. Resending this.)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> There _is_ a quirk for broken models.  However, we don't know how
> complete the set of quirk entries is, so we err on the side of caution.

Then what is it used for? There doesn't seem to be much point in a
blacklist when the functionality is disabled by default to begin with.

And if there's a whitelist, does it mean that we should submit the IDs
of working USB devices for whitelisting? Also, is there a module
parameter to toggle the functionality, to facilitate testing whether
the device works fine or not?