Hi Shuah,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 07:33:41AM -0700, Shuah Khan wrote:

> Thanks for finding the problem. usb2 devices don't work at all with the
> offending commit: 03cd00d538a6feb0492cd153edf256ef7d7bd95e
>
> I have been debugging on 4.12 and this bad commit. Low speed devices can be
> attached, but you see the following and then shutdown hangs.

It sounds horrible. I am really trying to understand the situation. I tested
and am testing mouses/keyboards, all of them work. Am I missing something?

BTW, now I'm testing over localhost.

> I don't believe this commit 03cd00d538a6feb0492cd153edf256ef7d7bd95e tested
> well on usb2 devices. and this commit is suspect. It is unfortunate
> that it wasn't caught during the patch testing, because it is so easy to
> run into this. I used one usb2 device and tried to attach over localhost
> and with this patch happens every single time.

If it is this commit, chances are it should be not hard to fix, as the patches
up to this point simply reorganize data structures.

> I am looking into reverting this commit as well as the rest of the usb3 work
> that is based on this bad commit as this commit introduced serious regression
> for usb2 devices.
>
> I have reverted the patches on 4.15 base and testing it this week. I will have
> to do the same for 4.13 as well.
>
> usb3 work and this rework patch can be tested well and I can take this
> into 4.16 or so once it is is tested on all devices including the finger
> print reader - I have a laptop to test this use-case.

Sounds good.

> My apologies for not catching this earlier.

My apologies too.

> The bug dmesg as follows:
>
> [ 2223.046019] kernel BUG at drivers/usb/usbip/vhci_hcd.c:704!

Make sure we are on the same page. Is the BUG this one:

683         BUG_ON(!urb->transfer_buffer && urb->transfer_buffer_length);

Thanks,
Yuyang