Hope this helps----

Most digital cameras save images in exif format which is an extension of
jpg. This format includes a thumbnail img plus all the camera settings
used in taking the pic (flash, lens setting, camera make/model and heaps
more). This detail is visible in a suitable app, I use Exifread under
win95. It is fast, shows the embedded thumnails automatically and can
also show full size for exif and 'normal' jpg files. It is a viewer
only. Having located my file I then use other apps to
transfer/manipulate the image. Beware though that other image apps will
probably delete all the exif specific data and save a jpg file without
thumbnail.

You can check for an exif file by viewing it in a hex editor. The file
type shows in the 1st 16 bytes - EXIF or JFIF

There is an app for linux which I have yet to try -
exifutils-lin-x86-1.5.tgz.  I understand that it can modify existing
data and add your own comments to exif & jpg files but i don't think it
handles the graphics. Source code is available from the author. If
anyone knows of others please lets know of them

Konqueror creates its own thumbnails - slow to load and does not save
them.

Barry