Hello Kevin,

Following on from what Nick said....

Digital camera makers seem to often use the same basic software for
several of their cameras. In gphoto a Chinon ES-1000 is listed, give it
a go as follows.

1 start linux as a normal user and load a gnome terminal.

2 in the terminal enter 'su' and your root used name. When the prompt
comes up you will see it now reads 'root@....'

3 enter 'gphoto'

4 from the top menu select 'configure', then 'select port-camera model'

5 from the dropdown menu select the camera model and from the options on
the right the port to which you connect the camera (others will have to
help here if it is usb)

6 click 'ok'. The camera is now selected.

7 from the top menu select 'camera', then 'download index', then
'thumbnails'.

8 when all thumbnails are showing click each one you want to download,
or click 'select' in the menu.

9 back to the menu, select 'file', 'save', 'selected images', then the
directory to which you wish to save them. Don't forget to enter a prefix
at the bottom of this panel, otherwise the filenames start with a '-'.

10 when finished close gphoto, then the terminal to exit the root login.
BTW with gphoto running, you may not be able to access your modem. For
me this problem is normal, others may comment.

Hope this helps with the camera.

Barry