Hi,  I'm new to Linux and having problems making my pc work.  I'll
probably be posting a few issues I hope some of you may be able to
help me with.  This is the first....

I've finally got Mandrake 9.0 installed on my old Pentium 200 which
has an ISA sound card.  At the end of the installation it said I have
to run 'sndconfig' to set up my isa sound card.  So I ran that from a
root shell under kde logged in as root - was able to hear the samples.
 But sounds within KDE are intermittent - more reliable logged on as
root, bad as a user.

I looked in the 'control centre' under sound.  First time I had to
turn on the sound server. But this generates a couple of error
messages logged in as a user:  "(informational) Error while
initializing the sound driver. Can't start sound io.  The sound server
will continue, using the null output device" and "(warning) Can't set
real-time scheduling priority. You need to run artswrapper as root or
setuid root. This means that you will likely not be able to produce
acceptable sound (ie. without clicks and breaks)".  But at other times
it will work with the test button a couple of times before finally
throwing the errors.

I tried artswrapper (logged in as a user) but could not get my
'Terminal (super user mode)' to run - it use to work under
mandrake8.2.   What could stop this loading? - it asks for password,
spins an hour glass for a bit, then nothing.

But back to sound, does anyone have some suggestions of what I could
try please?

Regards,
    Bryce Stenberg.

CAUTION: This email message and accompanying data may contain information
that is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have
received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase
all copies of the message and attachments.
 ALSO, unless expressly stated otherwise, the contents of this message
represent only the views of the sender as expressed only to the intended
recipient, do not commit Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) to any course of
action and are not intended to impose any legal obligation upon HRNZ.