Hi again,

>So is each workstation making a separate PPTP connection to the router?

No, the pptp tunnel is from the client's PC through to the server on the
internet, the router has to do network address (and port?) translation.

>Or are they making a PPTP connection to the remote VPN server on the net?

Yes.

>If its the second choice then any DSL router should do the job.
Not so... can only establish one VPN session at a time to the same server.
(Dynalink and D-link expressly say their ADSL routers can't handle more than
one connection to the same VPN server at the same time - don't quite know
why they are so limited).

Thanks,
   Bryce Stenberg.