OK so I will make some tarfiles of the relevant folders. Having looked at the man page I understand generally the command "tar -NumerousOptions directoryname" but my next question is which options should I use? And should that also include gzipping too? (The order of these options seems to be important sometimes - I have not quite managed to get my head around that.)
Cheers,
Roger

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

Apart from the windows drives, is this saying that the linux install is just on hdb7 and tmpfs?

Yes and no. tmpfs is just a ramdisk, no need to back that up. ;)

All your Linux stuff is in hdb7. If you change your partition layout,
put /home onto a seperate partition, because then you can upgrade Linux
while leaving your user files in place (backup would still be a good
idea).

Tar up /etc and keep it, it has almost all your machine's configuration
in it. Do this as root, to back up non-public files as well. Do the same
with /usr/local if you installed any software into it (this would be
through compiling that software, not through rpms). Back up your whole
/home if you want. Your KDE configuration is in ~/.kde/, but all the
user config files are in your home directory. KDE might not behave
totally the same if it finds user config files of a previous version. If
you want to be surprised about new default features, rename ~/.kde to
~/.kde-- (from the console!!!) before you log in for the first time
witht he GUI.

Keep in mind that tar does not preserve ownerships unless you unpack as
root. Unpack into a new directory, then copy/move things in place as
needed, don't just unpack over an existing directory. When storing
things on Billyware filesystems nothing is preserved and therefore
always use tar, or you'll be cursing the day.

Volker