Hi, I'm not getting much time to work on this, but I have some more
queries please ...

I think it is configured, but I'm not sure how to test that. Yast shows
three lines for initialization strings - should I be giving it the usual
modem init strings - or will it detect it's a modem and know what to do
with it (at least with 'standard' modem commands)?

I'm now trying with an old external 36k usrobotics modem - it's on com
port one so I said modem was on something like /dev/ttyS1  - is this
correct?

> The dialling is initiated in any case by smpppd (SUSE meta ppp
daemon),
> which is a daemon collecting system state and user commands. When
> requested, smpppd starts pppd (which in turn starts wvdial for dealing
> with the ISP login - none of this chat script cr*p in SUSE since about
> '99). cinternet is a front-end to smpppd, kinternet likewise for the
KDE
> panel.
I seem to have cinternet - is there no 'click on the panel button to
start dialing' thingy under gnome desktop?  At the moment I can't even
see where to initiate the dial-up,  and cinternet seems rather involved,
if only those man pages would give examples somewhere then I would be
able to cut and paste and see what happens - but as it is I don't know
which are the essential parameters to add (and don't really want to go
there anyway - far too complex).

Should I be changing to the kde desktop to get a click for dialup
thingy?
If so, how hard is this to do (I did not choose to install kde when I
installed suse), should I just reinstall suse picking it as my desktop
instead?  Then at least your kinternet notes will apply to me.

>In terms of functionality, the kinternet/smpppd construction
> leaves anything else I've seen for stone dead. Clicking on the panel
> icon starts dialling, clicking again hangs up; no effect for
> demand-dialling, but kinternet allows to disable demand-dialling
> altogether (like when you want to make sure not to spend money).
Trouble
> connecting? Right-click on the panel icon, select "show log". None of
> this: become root (is that edible?), start your favourite editor
(what's
> an editor?), look at /var/log/messages (there's no \var\lg\mssges -
what
> do I do now?). kinternet will also ask for the dialup password if you
> deliberately didn't configure it in yast. Oh yes, most importantly,
> kinternet handles any number of modems and ISPs with zero trouble.
>
> Remember that kinternet only controls the dial-up, but not the
dialling
> etc, so if your modem / internet connection /etc isn't working
properly,
> the log is the only real use you'll get out of kinternet. The log is
> however the primary source for trouble-shooting. Run yast to fix
things,
> "configure modem" or similar from somewhere in kinternet.
>
> Volker

I'm a bit disappointed with Linux in that something as essential as
getting connected to the internet is still so fraught with difficulty
(if only we had broadband where I live it would be much simpler).....but
I'll persist a little longer.  My replies will not happen quickly, as
currently only computer at home is the non-functional linux one so I
have to try to send mails from work and recall what's actually going on

Thanks,
  Bryce Stenberg.