On 8/3/07, Christopher D Maher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Don't get me wrong I haven't had much to do with hardware over the years, but
> I have had a little.
>
> I didn't even think the techs used a wrist strap.  But I may be wrong.
>
> Any other ideas?

Take it from bitter and expensively gained experience that the value
of wrist-straps _really is_ worth at least 2 orders  of magnitude more
than their price. Plastic flooring plus rubber shoes plus a
low-humidity day ( frosty or Nor-Wester ) is instant death to
electronic equipment if you are not connected to the machinery in
question. OK, you could probably get away with just touching the case
of the machine 99.99% of the time, but on that one in ten thousand
occasion you only have to take a couple of steps to pick up a
screw-driver or whatnot, forget yourself and pop - away goes several
grand. Honest.

Professional computer repair companies are absolutely fanatical about
static electricity proof workstations - carbon filled rubber mats,
wrist-straps, special no static vacuum cleaners.

--
Sincerely etc.
Christopher Sawtell