On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Andrew Sands <and...@theatrix.org.nz> wrote:
> Is this discussion actually current because I followed the link to the
> archives and became really confused.

Probably not current, but still relevant.

> Has the wiki been moved, relocated, stopped or killed and I've just not
> noticed.

Well, you were just reading a page from it, weren't you? :-) It's
still there, with a couple of non-addressed problems (like upload
permissions that don't work)

> Has this message just dragged up a topic that had been left to die for a
> reason.

Inertia has a lot to do with it :-) I've been busy moving house, and
dealing with family stuff.

Now, my base position is this :-

I haven't been living in Christchurch for a long time, so my
involvement with CLUG consists solely of following this email list,
and running the wiki software on a "spare" server. That server is
getting increasingly less spare every day as its real work now
consumes more and more resources. phpwiki and mysql between them take
up much less than zero admin time, too.

Note that the domain names that CLUG use are not owned or managed by
me, Nick Rout donates and controls them.

The wiki has been somewhat useful over the last few years, but hasn't
been used heavily for anything except meeting related tasks. There is
a reasonable selection of generic how-to documentation on there, but
nothing that isn't already represented on the WLUG wiki (which has a
much wider reach of technical information, as well as an incorporated
society funding it) (also note that I've contributed some of CLUG's
more unique technical data into WLUG already, as we're both using a
suitable CC-BY-SA license)

My current thoughts are to get a very low-overhead wiki set up on a
new server, and to dedicate that to CLUG-specific tasks (i.e.
meetings, presentations, etc) only. I may even find some way to hook
in auto-reminder emails for events :-)

The new server will be virtualised, and dedicated to CLUG, which means
I could allow shell/admin access to people who are interested in
helping out. I would expect the model for this to be open, and based
around some published auditing system (i.e. the mailing list get to
see what each server admin is doing), as yet just an embryonic
thought!

I'm open to suggestions, comments, and offers of help. I reserve the
right to make the final decisions regarding "my" server of course :-)

-jim