You know your mate that's Good with cars...?

He's the one that forever has a bunch of partially dismantled old
clunkers lying around his yard.

So my netbook is, umm, temporarily "awkward"... and the Linksys
WRT54GL is bricked... but I have a plan to "unbrick" it...

Ah, well, this is the way we learn.

Two of the eee distros have converged under one project, ubuntu-eee
and Easy Peasy is now Easy Peasy.

Both seem to be are basically ubuntu hardy tweaked.

The process is simple, but with some gotchas...

The bootable usb program from Ubuntu Intrepid didn't seem to work for
me, but unetbootin did.

To get the netbook to see the usb at boot time requires a bit of
trickery... bounce on the F2 key whilst booting, enter setup
mode. Enable boot time popup. Save.

Hit escape as it boots, it then asks which device you want to boot
from.

The other main eee distro is eeebuntu.

The eeebuntu-nbr interface is cutesy and netbookish, with a command
line terminal right up from. Xandros at least had kate as an editor,
out of the box eebuntu seems to be at the "nano" level.

Xandros was fairly smart about network settings, eeebuntu seemed very
dumb. EasyPeasy has the same network setting manager.

I'm on EasyPeasy at the moment, hacking the network config files by
hand.... but I'd like to move to Intrepid.

I have crashbang linux d/loading at home at the moment. I'll try it
tonight.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.car...@tait.co.nz
New Zealand