On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Steve Holdoway wrote:

Noo... you should always sync twice: disk then network (:
( and anyone who says 3 times is even older than me! )

So it's my age eh? So is why I always unmount my usb pens like...

  sync;sync;sync;umount /dev/sdc

I just said sync instead of sync;sync for the benchmark since I have
never spotted a human visible time difference between saying it once
instead of twice. (Certainly seen huge differences between sync'ing
and not sync'ing.)

The best one I ever came across was a non-technical ex boss who got
a bunch of Indians ( schoolkids I think ) to benchmark some
code. After starting off 4 copies of the code, the test failed, and
a serious problem was indicated because they finished in a different
order. A serious case of YGWYPF.

That case was probably just a bug, But you do get cases where the OS
associates multiple processes (> 2) with a dual core. And depending on
what happens when exactly, you can get working code completing out of
sequence!

Although the Atom in the EEE 901 is hyperthreaded, not multicore, so
that isn't one of the gotchas biting Craig.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.car...@tait.co.nz
New Zealand