On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Daniel Hill wrote:

ok so I'm 80% sure that it's the power supply, 3.3V is running at
 3.09V (0.045V below ATX spec)

That's why I suggested disconnecting the two extra drives....
quickest way of getting a little extra juice.

the SATA drives are connected to the power supply via molex
connectors, which don't supply 3.3V, would that actually have an effect?

Although each of the supply rails are pretty low voltage, some pretty
impressive amperages and hence wattage goes through them. Small
resistances can lead to largish voltage differences and power loss
across them.

One of the gnarliest hardware faults I ever saw was in the Bad Old
days of minicomputers... after weeks of arguing between vendors it was
finally isolated. The tape controller was drawing too much current
causing the disk drive to fail.

Moral of the story... if it's a bus, anything on the bus can keep on
working and still cause anything else on the bus to fail.

Conclusion: Isolate possible causes. Make things really really simple,
then start added things back.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.car...@tait.co.nz
New Zealand