Hi,

Using Ubuntu Server 9.10.

Thanks for all the suggestions on moving my /var to another disk last
week. I went with a new LV and moved /var to it. Then set the partition
to mount as /var in fstab.

However, I got errors with /var/lock and /var/run not existing when
booting. I googled it and found they have to be on the root partition so
created a directory 'var' under '/' and copied 'run' and 'lock'
directories back to this new var.

Now when booting I get:

mount: mount point /dev/.var/run does not exist
montall: mount /var/run [700] terminated with status 32

and

mount: mount point /dev/.var/lock does not exist
mountall: mount /var/lock [700] terminated with status 32

So I'm getting a bit lost here - am I not really allowed to move /var at
all under Ubuntu or have I missed off some important steps in the move?
Maybe I'd be better off re-installing setting /var to new partition from
the beginning  (although then I don't learn why it is screwed up but it
might at least work)?

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.

DISCLAIMER: If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by reply email, facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3
9641200 and destroy the original.  Please refer to full DISCLAIMER at
http://www.hrnz.co.nz/eDisclaimer.htm