My experience with RAID is all from windows - but it may translate to
Linux.
I would have ask why not use Hardware RAID (unless not available) so in
the OS all your dealing with is a single disk setup rather than all this
software RAID complication?

As a side note on the Informix list I watch it is repeatedly said not to
use RAID 5 if you can - explanation here:
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.

DISCLAIMER: If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by reply email, facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3
9641200 and destroy the original.  Please refer to full DISCLAIMER at
http://www.hrnz.co.nz/eDisclaimer.htm