On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Ryan McCoskrie
<ryan.mccosk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By generic I don't just mean desktop centered with no paradigm shifting
> technologies. I mean a system that aims to have as few original contributions
> as possible and have a complete out-of-the-box set of programs (GUI and CLI)
> that one would expect out of a Linux based system.

I think you're really looking for the most old-fashioned distro :-)
For example, you probably want init scripts in /etc/rc* ... which as
many distros as possible are leaving behind ...

Debian is the best-managed "old-fashioned" system, but they have
package guidelines that mean the installed packages often do not match
the upstream author's original intentions; but you didn't explicitly
say you wanted to be upstream-compliant.

You might enjoy Gobo -- I'm really not sure about the out-of-the-box
experience, but the ability to bring in anything upstream and run it
with the original author's intended environment is pretty much
unparalleled -- there has to be a single kernel, but you can use
different libc for different programs if you want, easily.

-jim