On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Peter Glassenbury (CSSE)
<peter.glassenb...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Like Volker, I have yet to be convinced of the point of typing
> "sudo " in front of all the commands I want to run as root.
> When it becomes reflex, you are going to make the same mistakes
> as if you login as root.

If you are the owner of the computer in question and you are
"competant", there is no reason at all not to use root all the time.
Just set your uid to 0 and be done with it. I'm as serious with that
comment as I am with "writing passwords down", i.e. very serious.

However, if you are *not* the owner (i.e. in any business context)
then sudo provides a very valuable audit log experience. You have 5
admins -- which one was it that logged on as root and broke your
production system? With sudo, it is much easier to track back on
problems. You can use sudo to get a root shell, rather than restrict
it to individual commands, if you want the flexibility.

-jim