Don't know if this is a "better" way or not, it just works for me.

- Install your main, stable distro in hda1, put all your grub stuff there
in it's /boot (no particular need for it to be a separate partition). Make
several entries in menu.lst like "Linux - hda5" and so forth. That way
whatever is in the upper partitions is always bootable with no changes to
grub, MBR or menu.lst.

- Put /home in hda2

- Put <swap> in hda3

- Put numerous partitions for other distros in hda5 - hdaxx

You can play with the other distros to heart's content, but always have a
good distro (hda1) to come back to to fix problems or when you actually
need to get some work done :-) In the main distro, mount the other distros
file systems in /mnt/hda5, for example. That way you can use the good one
to fix the others if need be.

If you think you might ever want DOS/Win on the machine, hda1 can be
reserved for that and then just shift everything down. (In this case use
dos fdisk to create hda1 and then your favorite Linux partitioning tool to
make all the other partitions).

--
Michael R. Hipp
Microsoft Windows XP: Just say no.