On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 04:25, David A. Bandel wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2002 22:16:09 -0800
> begin  Iraj Medifar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
>
> [snip]
> > >
> > Thanks. I did and here's what I got:
> >
> > esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
> > Try -trust to force esd to start.
> > esd: Esound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
> > /tmp/.esd/socket
> > The socket is not accessible by esd.
> > Exiting ...
> >
> > Well, is there a plain newbie translation of this?
>
> Must be _lots_ of stuff on your system broken.  Users can't log in, etc.
>
> Do this as root:
> chmod 1777 /tmp
>
> then try again and post any errors.
>
> Ciao,
>
> David A. Bandel
> --

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried and here's what I got:

esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...

Practically the same message as before. By the way, the system doesn't
appear to be broken at all. Users do log in and do anything they want
and don't complain about anything. Grip is the only apparent problem.