powertrips.org. IN      NS      dns1.powertrips.org.
www             IN      A       powertrips.org.
www             IN      CNAME   powertrips.org.
admin           IN      A       powertrips.org.
mail            IN      A       66.28.158.4
@               IN      MX      10      66.28.158.4

First off, why CNAME and A record for the same name?  Secondly, A records
should resolve to NUMERIC addresses.  CNAMES resolve to other ALPHA
records.  mail is a perfect example of and A record.  www is a good CNAME.

Beyond that, what do your logs say when you start BIND?  You should find
some very informative messages, and I think they're still in
/var/log/messages (even is BSD?) HTH