On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:43:17 -0500
begin  Marvin Dickens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

[snip]

> But then again, what do I know...?... Kurt and David B. are better
> equipped than I am at this sort of thing.

OK, straight off the top of my head for creating a filesystem:

1.  use fdisk (or cfdisk) to create partitions on your drive.
2.  use mke2fs (for ext2), mke2fs -j (for ext3), mkreiserfs (for reiserfs)
on the newly created partition (for example /dev/hdb1) to format it 3.
create a mountpoint for the partition using mkdir 4.  mount the partition
(mount /dev/hdxx /new/mountpoint)

The above is straight from my head.  No reference (in years) to any
material, I just remember how to do it.

Could you look around and find something that looks similar?  YES
Is it plagiarism?  NO

Why not, it looks and reads like someone else's material?

Because in the case of a cook-book recipe like the above where certain
steps are involved, must be accomplished in a certain order, they will
_always_ look like someone else's cookbook recipe to do exactly the same
thing, copied or not.

So in this case, plagiarism would be difficult if not impossible to prove
as long as the _exact_ same words, punctuation, mispellings, aren't used.
Although the below is plagarised from the above (because I'm reading and
rewording slightly), it would not convince a judge:

1.  create a partition with fdisk
2.  format the partition with mke2fs -j
3.  create a mountpoint with mkdir
4.  mount the filesystem with mount

But is there another way to do it?  No (at least not correctly).

Have I been to court?  No.  But I have discussed this with legal counsel.
Why?  I write one book for one author.  I write another book with some
chapters that cover some of the same material for another author.  Can I
copy from one book to another? NO!  By rewriting the same material, am I
plagiarising myself?  Perhaps.  The two texts can read substantially the
same, but cannot be identical.  If any two paragraphs from the two books
are exactly the same, I could be open to a lawsuit.  A pattern of several
paragraphs that are identically worded would almost certainly net me major
problems.

Fiction is a lot easier to prove plagiarism than technical writing. (Just
how many ways are there to screw in a light bulb?)  You just need to say
in good conscience that you did not copy someone else's work.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto