There is often a utility partition for things like GUI RAID management on
NetServers.  It is not strictly necessary, especially if you know how to
configure your RAID controller with the built-in interface on the controller.
You should have no problem writing to the MBR.  I have done this on
NetServers from the original LF and LH Plus series up through the LH3000's.