On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:20, David A. Bandel wrote:

> Remember, I'm using devfs, so the initial permissions are what the kernel
> gives. That said, at boot, I deliberately chmod 666 /dev/sound/*.
> However, it appears that afterward, permissions change (I'm not sure why
> -- and I use Blackbox).
>
> All this is on a COL-3.1.1 setup (obviously highly modified).  But my LFS
> systems look identical to this.

I saw this and have been faoolowing the thread myself as i have sound
problems.

Mandrake 8.1/82 kde2.2.2/3.0 and no sound at all except on the bttv card
for TV. I also had previously chmod 666 the /dev/sound and not looked since.
So it came up as :
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   4 Jan  1  1970 audio
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   3 Jan  1  1970 dsp
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   5 Jan  1  1970 dspW
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   0 Jan  1  1970 mixer
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   1 Jan  1  1970 sequencer
crw-------    1 kantoine audio     14,   8 Jan  1  1970 sequencer

I then chmod /dev/sound 666
took a look and all were crw-rw-rw- then logged out and back in again, not
reboot, looked again and they were all 600. Looks like you have to set it in
/etc/devfsd.conf, will have to find out how.

--
Keith Antoine (GANDALF) aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161