The .spec file is used with rpm to create the .rpm files we all know and
love.  Inside it contains information like package description, files
included, dependencies, configure/make procedures, installation/removal
procedures, etc....  Look at an existing one to see what I mean...
Checkinstall creates these in the process of creating it's RPMs.  I
probably wouldn't take the Kernel spec as the first one to look at and
learn from, tho.

Normally RPM building takes place in /usr/src/OpenLinux (for Caldera).  In
that directory you'll find the following dirs:
RPMS    -location of the finished products
SRPMS   -not necessarily used, but where SRPMS are put when built
SPECS   -location of the aforementioned .spec files
SOURCES -location of the tar.gz or .tgz files
BUILD   -temp area (tgz's are untarred and configure/make/make install is
done)

Once it looks the way you want it to look, you type something like the
following command to create binary RPMs

rpm -bb /usr/src/OpenLinux/SPECS/whateverpackage.spec

In the case of the Linux Kernel, this will create a bunch of rpm's,
including kernel-binary, kernel-include, and a lot of hardware-specific
source files.

.config files are the files created by the ./configure process (or, in the
case of the Kernel, make xconfig or make menuconfig, etc...)

Does this all make sense?