I finally found out where my hard drive memory was going to on my root
drive /. (Or, I may have rediscovered where those missing bytes are. Ain't
it nice to mature.)

I have a root hard drive with about 3 gigs of space on it. It got filled
up even though I have moved almost everything off it. Very puzzling.

Turns out, I have a mnt point for a backupdrive, /mnt/hdc1, on the root
drive. This backup is automatic. If the backup drive isn't mounted, the
backup program, cp -au, just merrily makes a directory /mnt/hdc1 on my
root drive /, and writes to it, thus filling up the / drive eventually.

This is a tough thing to find out because if you mount the backup drive,
which is the default configuration, you don't see the extra directory
/mnt/hdc1.

Well, lucky I usually keep an extra OS on my system, so I can boot into
it and play around with my usual / directory.  (Now, where will I use
that 80 gig drive I just bought to replace my old "defective" hard drive.)

Joel